Sunday, February 24, 2013

Nothing Prepared Me for College

So we're in the process of writing to the Forestview school and in all honesty I have the approach that nothing prepared me for college. I'm not sure if I can take that stance with my paper so I decided just to talk about it here instead.

Here's my steps to college that we did in class:
It begins with me as a little girl and everyone telling me what I needed to do in order to get to college.

Growing up, I went to a private college-prep school, worked hard, took AP classes, did a lot of community service, and took the SAT until I did well. I did all of these things in an attempt to be prepared for college, because everyone around me told me that was what I needed to do.

Through all of those things had an effect on my road to college, nothing that I did could have prepared me for the experiences that college has brought to me.

I could go on and on with examples but I just give a big one to keep this pretty short. Throughout my schooling career, I had pretty good teachers overall. They loved what they did, and they all went to school to learn how to teach. However, going into college I immediately enrolled in a pre-bio program. It was a shock to me that most of my teachers couldn't teach. They were all very knowledgeable about their subject, and could tell you anything about it; but most lacked the ability to effectively teach it. Unlike my teachers growing up who went to school to teach, these professors went to school to learn about their subject. I found that this made a big difference in my overall work load in the course as well as my interest.

5 comments:

  1. Dangg , you went to a college-prep school. That must have been different. Coming back to the topic of "College Readiness", you are right about the teachers not being effective. Being a teacher can mean two things, teaching on a job or teaching on a personal note. Good example Kristen!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is a great example. It is at times hard to have a good professor in college and it is also difficult to get that one on one experience in an environment with so many students.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree with you! I think that the difference between college professors and high school teachers is very different. I know for me, it was hard to learn with the new knowledgeable professors that I have had, where most of them dont communicate information very well. In my high school, teachers took the time to teach you the material thoroughly and they were always there to help if you needed it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I totally agree with you! I feel like I did all of the necessities in high school that would get me a good college application but now that I'm actually in college I didn't really need anything that I learned from the SAT or some classes. I always wanted to be an exercise science major until I went through chemistry my first semester here. My teacher had her masters but she couldn't teach what so ever and it completely changed my mind about what I want to do.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You are lucky to have gone to a high school where all of the teachers loved their jobs and wanted to see their teachers succeed. Most high schools (public high schools) consist of teachers who could care less and are bitter about teaching. Some teachers didn't even like kids.

    ReplyDelete