Sunday, February 17, 2013

Mean Girls

So in class the other day we continued our topic of the representations of schooling in popular culture. I continued to gear my views toward gender. One of my favorite movies in middle school was Mean Girls. For those who haven't seen the movie it's about a "new girl" in school named Cady (Lindsey Lohan), and basically her sturggle to understand a new high school culture.
She tries to get into with the most popular girls in school named "the Plastics". However she also makes friends with the "out crowd" Damian and Janis:
Longgggggggggggg story short, the plastics fall apart and the out crowd "wins" in the end. 

I think in terms of "the plastics" girls are highly sexualized, and as Cady is trying to get in with them you see her completely change herself to do so. However, they didn't prove to be anything too great by the end of the movie. This made me reevaluate my hope for popular culture. I really liked how this film showed the underdogs coming out on the brighter side, as opposed to the girls who seemed to have everything. 

 

3 comments:

  1. I agree, its cool how the ones that are mistreated at first get the power in the end. Nobody is perfect and this movie is a great example.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This a very good prime example of popular culture. In my high school years, I have seen many people who have changed their social life throughout their four years in high school. Linsey Lohan also did an absolutely well job of playing her character in "Mean Girls". One question that I ask myself sometimes relating to this movie to reality of high school is this,"how big of a difference can a person make a change in his or her life in such a social community, especially when groups are involved?"

    ReplyDelete
  3. Underdogs Rule! I think it is important to stay who you are and not have to change just to make friends.

    ReplyDelete