Sunday, January 27, 2013

Gaming and Education?

I’ve really been trying to wrap my head around this whole connection between video games and learning…and to be honest I’m just not really getting it.

I’m just picturing a semi-fun and challenging game but then you get to this road block and it tells you to solve an impossible calculus problem to continue. I don’t know about you guys, but that would just frustrate me enough to quit.

Also, usually if I know something is educational going into it, I usually write it off as dumb and a waste of time before I begin.

Games are always being manipulated and different versions come out rather frequently…but in my opinion, things are being discovered and new theories come into the world at a much faster rate. I just don’t see how a game could keep up.

I get the use of technology in the classroom; I just don’t get the whole game thing. If someone wants to try to explain this to me you’re more than welcome to! 

4 comments:

  1. Im not really a game person myself. Ummm, but if I was to connect the gaming to education I would put it this way. For example, if I was to play Mario Kart, I would have to really know the stages well in order to avoid traps and use the obstacles as my advantage. This was something that I thought of at the top of my head. I'm not entirely into the gaming/learning experience too, but to try at see it at an angle where I'm best at is better than looking at it where it's going no where. Good post though!

    -San

    ReplyDelete
  2. I sort of understand where you are coming from. Whenever I get board in a class I play games on my phone but when Lacey told us to spend the rest of the class playing game, I no longer want to play games. It did make it seem more educational than enjoyable. However, whenever I am struggling to figure out how to complete a level to continue to the next one it usually makes me want to work harder, but maybe games are just not for everyone.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The thing I think that Gee was trying to tell us is that sometimes you can play a game and learn at the same time without thinking that your learning, and maybe if you make education fun enough the kids or the people learning will not even know their learning.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It is true that our technology is always increasing and definitely depending on the game determines its educational values.

    ReplyDelete