Sunday, November 11, 2012

Things aren't always what they seem...



In class on Thursday we read Hazel Tells Laverene by Katharyn Machan. It was a twist on the old fairy tale, The Princess and the Frog. This immediately made me think of Gregory Maguire's novel Wicked: The Life and Times of the Wicked Witch of the West.   It is a revised look at the land and characters of Oz from L. Frank Baum's 1900 novel The Wonderful Wizard of Oz, and the 1939 film. Wicked is the story of the Wizard of Oz from the viewpoint of the Wicked which of the West. It's also a really famous musical. I don't read a lot, but I will admit it's a really good read :)

Wicked takes a whole new spin on the land of Oz. In Wicked, the Witch is misunderstood, the Witch of the East is a religious zealot, Munchkins are prone to mob violence and bigotry, the Wizard is a dictator, and animals can talk.  


I'm completely in love with things like this. Even things like getting someones perspective or opinions on various topics is really interesting to me. It opens us up to newer ways of looking at a situation with every perspective that we gain. Like in Wicked, you begin to sympathize with the wicked witch because you start to understand the reasoning behind her antics. 

2 comments:

  1. WOW, I like stories, movies, books, or anything like this as well! My favorite being Lion King 1/2. This movies remakes The Lion King from Timon and Pumba's point of view. It's kind of corny but I just like looking at someone else's point of view who would have been in the same situation! Interesting......!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh I LOVE Wicked! I read the book (along with most of MaGuire's other ones) and saw the musical in Chicago before it made its' way to to Charlotte finally. I totally love the retold fairy tale genre.... here are two other favs that come to mind :)

    Tam Lin by Pamela Dean
    Enchantment by Orson Scott Card

    ReplyDelete