Saturday, September 15, 2012

I do what I do for Erin-September 15, 2012


In class on Thursday we looked at a blogging site, wdydwyd?. This site is filled with pictures and descriptions of different people answering the question: Why do you do what you do?

This got me thinking on what exactly moves people, and makes them act.  In my day book I made a little list of the things I came up with. Some of my ideas were: religion, parental influence, to make a difference, peer-pressure, self-satisfaction, and some people just do things for the hell of it. Whatever the reason, I believe that we all have some rhyme and reason behind our actions--some underlying force that we allow to move us.
According to Sara Bareilles in her song Bottle It Up”—she does it for love…she really gets that point across by repeating “I do it for love, love, love, love, love, love, love, love….” Over and over again in that one song alone.
My day book entry...nothing spectacular.


For myself, I thought about some things that I do personally and my reasoning behind it.  I work with a mentally retarded girl for my job.  Her name is Erin and she’s 23 years old.  She loves playing hide-and-seek and doing puzzles.  When we’re not doing one of those things, she’s always interested in asking me a hundred questions (most are repetitive) on my day. Around her, I take on a more simplistic view of life.




I never imagined that as a college student I would be running around still playing hide-and-seek, or any of the other countless things I find myself doing to make her laugh, but I couldn’t have asked for anything better. I consider my job a complete blessing.  It’s hard to describe, but I do all that I do with her simply to see the smile on her face.  That smile makes every worry of my “normal” world go away in an instant.  Knowing I have the power to put even a little bit of joy-even for a moment- in her life makes everything worthwhile for me.
Erin, my best friend Bristol (who introduced me to Erin, and also works with her), and me. An example of something weird that I'll do to make her laugh:

All of that to say, Erin’s smile, joy, and laughter is the reason why I do what I do. J

5 comments:

  1. WOW! That's pretty cool what you do! It's pretty interesting how your smile and satisfaction comes from seeing Erin's smile! My day books often look like that too, all over the place! Lol

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your job sounds really great! I think it's awesome how dedicated you are to making sure Erin has a good time when your working with her.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is really inspirational! I think it is great that you chose to do your blog post on this because it is definitely an interesting thing to talk/think about.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I really enjoyed seeing this part of your life, Kristen.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I loved the website wydwyd. I also love your post! I think that it is so sweet that you work with Erin and spend your time with her. I would love to have a job like that.

    ReplyDelete