Monday, April 8, 2013

Mini Project-2

For my second Mini Project I knew that I wanted to get other student's opinions on the matter. I went back and forth on including males or not, but after talking to the first girl that I interviewed I knew that girls would probably have some really interesting things to say so I didn't want to short them of anything by excluding most of the interview to keep the project more concise. 

I recorded my voice on what the three girls said because most people don't like the sound of their voice over a recorded media. It also, made it more appealing to the girls to go through with doing the interview. Also, I added clips of the song I'm a Woman by Peggy Lee to bounce off the song I included in my first project. Maybe for my third project I'll add something a little more contemporary? hah



When I began deciding on who I wanted these interviews to come from I questioned if high school, elementary, college, or all of them combined would be the best way to get what I wanted across. I asked around and decided on keeping it in the realm of college and more specifically UNCC students. It was really interesting to see that each of the girls had a different experience. I found that there were some grey areas on what discrimination based on gender meant to each girl.

Reflections of the three girls that I interviewed:
Megan Eastergard- Megan and I have been friends for awhile, but we have never talked about the topic that I'm exploring for this project before the interview. Megan had a hard time relating to this topic. For her, it was not something that she really experienced much of in her life. It was a topic that she didn't see as being too prevalent in today's time for our culture, but is a serious matter in different countries. Being an international business major, I believe that it helped her tie in the connection between gender discrimination in different areas.

Michelle Booth- Michelle is in my writing group in class. Michelle had personal experiences in high school of gender discrimination that I loved hearing about. She talked about times when teachers had really crossed a boundaries based on her and classmates being females. These stories were really interesting to me because I had never experienced anything like what she described before.

Bristol Weekly- Bristol was an intentional pick for this interview. I knew that she was a Engineering major and I figured that if any field would show discrimination it would be one where women are vastly out numbered by men. She told a story of her first semester in college and in the engineering program. I have yet to experience any discrimination based on gender at the college level so it was really interesting to me to hear that subtle forms of gender discrimination are still occurring at this level of academia.


I really enjoyed talking with these girls about this topic. I loved hearing all of the stories and opinions based around this sometimes controversial topic. I hope you guys enjoy :)

5 comments:

  1. What you trying to say about the guys in engineering? WESUCK? jk. This mini project part two was awesome, better than mine. I like how you interviewed three different individual females. It really put on a show for me to stay tune and listen all the way. Bristol seems vastly interesting to hear, to hear that she as a female is competing in a field where its dominated by guys. This topic got even cooler! Good job!

    -SAN

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's great to hear the opinion of our female peers on gender discrimination especially in the work force. Personally, I have not experienced gender discrimination but I have in other ways and whatever kind of discrimination it is it indeed can bruise your self-confidence.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kristen! This was fantastic to watch and hear. Thank you for sharing this and taking up this important work. Hearing the voices of these young women was really powerful.

    ReplyDelete
  4. All around me I see all this technology projects, This makes me want to strive that much harder for my next project. Loved it, and I hear that Michelle girl is really nice...

    ReplyDelete
  5. This was pretty cool! It was interesting to see someone actually explore this topic.

    ReplyDelete